Sunday, December 19, 2010

You and I in Ireland (For Kel)

I wanted your dying so complete
I know you hated me saying so
you'd say "don't want to be so destroyed, don't want to feel so helpless"
I wanted your despair inside me to feel

we walked to the island you and I, like lovers
we talked as the sun went down the sky behind me
we drove down the N1
drove 'til the sun had fallen
I wanted to drive 'til I could cry
but I don't anymore

don't you say it's OK
don't you know you're so pale
by the ocean shore
over the ancient walls
only you and I in Ireland
I needed this to be
you and I in Ireland

I watched as your face became the pain before me
I watched as your tears became the rain that I need
I felt my lips so dry and i knew you were drowning
"it's twenty to eight" I said, "we should go"

we laughed at the names we couldn't say
and laughed at the stupid games we played
somehow you felt you'd lost; you came here with such excitement
you know you'll be coming home some day
but you don't want to be going home this way

No comments:

Post a Comment